*book virtual meetings with our representative
Africa is one of the regions most in need of innovative solutions for tackling water and climate change-related challenges, yet many parts of Africa are also suffering from the lack of water-related skills and capacity as well as wide-spread institutional fragmentation. The AfriAlliance project aims to better prepare Africa for future climate change challenges by having African and European stakeholders work together in the areas of water innovation, research, policy, and capacity development.
Since the initiation of the project, AfriAlliance has carried out a range of activities to better prepare Africa for climate change challenges. A range of Social Innovation Factsheets (SIFs) have been published, promoting innovation opportunities that can foster short-term improvements in the preparedness of African stakeholders for water and climate change challenges. The lessons learned from the project have also been condensed into accessible, four-page policy briefs, five of which have already been published. As the vehicle for concrete demonstration, pilot projects, and information and knowledge sharing on selected thematic fields, AfriAlliance has launched 10 Action Groups, bringing together African and European peers with relevant knowledge and expertise to work jointly towards implementable solutions. The AfriAlliance partners also developed the GeoData Portal and Triple Sensor Approach, offering over 145 geodata sets, web services, maps, and related portals to water and climate researchers.
AfriAlliance is also proud to announce the recent publication of the Needs & Solutions Hub! The AfriAlliance Needs & Solutions Hub has compiled water-related needs of African stakeholders and matched them with potential solutions. Users can search for their specific need, and find out what solutions there are available, helping African water and climate stakeholders adapt to their challenges.
AfriAlliance has engaged in far more activities than can be listed here, including Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs), Innovation Bridge Events, and Roadshow Events. To find out more about the project, visit our website: https://afrialliance.org/
Download presentations and brochures by clicking below:
- Social Innovation Factsheet #1.1: Monitoring drinking water quality for improved health in Africa
- Social Innovation Factsheet #1.2: Monitoring of water availability in terms of quality and quantity for food security
- Social Innovation Factsheet #1.3: Monitoring climate for early warning systems to prepare for extreme weather events
- Social Innovation Factsheet #1.4: Monitoring groundwater quantity to ensure its sustainable use and to avoid water conflicts
- Social Innovation Factsheet #1.5: Monitoring water pollution from industries and urban areas to protect human health and ecosystems
- Social Innovation Factsheet #2.1: Innovation in water reuse and the potential of new water resources
- Social Innovation Factsheet #2.2: Water Use Efficiency
- Social Innovation Factsheet #2.3: Local knowledge & climate change adaptation
- Social Innovation Factsheet #2.4: Ecosystem based approaches & Ecosystem services
- Social Innovation Factsheet #2.5: Integrated Water Resources Management at river-basin scale
- Social Innovation Factsheet #3.1: Reducing Knowledge Fragmentation by Setting up Communities of Practice across Africa and EU
- Social Innovation Factsheet #3.2: Innovation delivered by AfriAlliance Actions Groups